Tech Support Guides for Chromebooks used in Distance Learning
If these guides do not assist in your problem please click the following link to email us. Please include you're Student's Name, Student ID, and School along with a description of your problem. A District IT will assist you with your issue as soon as possible.
Please click on the topic you wish to view. The topic will expand and include a Guide.
What is a Chromebook?
A Chromebook is simply a Laptop that uses ChromeOS and the Google Chrome Browser to help you accomplish tasks.
Your Chromebook will come with a Webcam, Trackpad (Mouse), and Keyboard
On the backside of the unit, there are connections you may or may not be familiar with
For AESD students, all we are concerned with are the following:
- DC IN
- This is where you plug in the charging cable.
- You can connect an HDMI cable and project the chromebook onto a Smart TV or a Monitor.
- USB 3.0
- Headsets, Headphones, Flash Drives can be connected to here.
- USB 2.0
- See USB 3.0
- Headphone Jack (Not Shown)
- Standard Headphones can be plugged into this slot (3.5mm).
Logging into your Chromebook
Once you power on your Chromebook, the next step is to login using your AESD Account
- The login is the students 6 digit lunch number (AESDfirstname.lastname@example.org)
After you press enter you will be given another screen that will prompt you to enter a password for your students account.
- The password is the students First Initial Last Initial followed by their 6 digit birthday using "John Doe" as an example: (JD010120)
You are now ready to use your Chromebook and will be shown a desktop similar to this one.
Do's and Don'ts: Chromebook Guidelines
- Password Protect your Chromebook
- When you close the lid of the Chromebook after 30 seconds it will "Lock" and the next time the lid is opened, the Chromebook will require you to login again.
- Place your Chromebook inside of a protected carrying bag
- Make sure the unit is stored in a proper place away from hazards.
- Your data will save automatically in intervals since the Chromebook is backed up to the cloud.
- Eat or drink around the Chromebook or over the Chromebook
- Put your Chromebook on the floor as this will cause the vents to become blocked and "suck up" debris and other foreign objects. This can hurt the Chromebook.
- Let your pet play around, lay on, or play on your Chromebook.
- Store personal information on the Chromebook.
- Store Student's personal information on the Chromebook.
- Install software without permission
- View/Search for any Illegal, Obscene, or Offensive material (If it feels wrong, it probably is)
- Clean your Chromebook with household chemicals.
- Leave you Chromebook in the car exposed to heat or left in the open.
- Power off the Device
- This can be done by locating this button:
- Hold the button for roughly 5-10 seconds until fully powered off.
- Remove any accessories or plug-ins such as cases, USBs, and headphones
- Examples of these items include:
- You can clean each of these items seperately.
- Clean the screen with an LCD-safe solution applied to a microfiber cloth.
- Examples of LCD "Safe" Solutions:
- *NEVER USE WINDOW CLEANER OR OTHER ABRASIVE CHEMICALS*
- To clean, wet a microfiber cloth in LCD-safe solution so that it's damp enough to feel wet, but not damp enough to create any drips (drips are bad. In extreme cases they can ruin the bottom edge of your screen if they get sucked between the layers of the LCD through capillary action). Rub the microfiber gently on the screen in a back-and-forth motion, using the broadest strokes you can. Avoid small circular motions, which can sometimes leave buffed-out spots or whorl marks on the screen.
- Use 70% isopropyl alcohol applied to a soft cotton rag to wipe down the keyboard and external chassis.
- Examples include:
- DO NOT spray your device with disinfectant. It's important that the solution is applied to a rag or cloth first so that liquid doesn't seep into the keyboard. This can damage the keyboard itself or important components housed beneth. CAUTION-70% Isopropyl alcohol is highly flammable, so keey it and anything covered in it away from any sources of ignition.
- Wait for the alcohol solution to completely evaporate before turning your Chromebook back on.
The 70% isopropyl alcohol in the solution is non-conductive (meaning there's no need to worry about that part affecting the electronic components of the device). It's the other 30%, which consists mainly of water, that is conductive. Because of this, it's important that you power down your device pre-cleaning and wait until the alcohol is completely evaporated before turning your Chromebook on.
How to Connect to the Wifi
- At the bottom right of the screen, Left-Click on the Wi-Fi symbol or the Time
- Select Not Connected
- Turn on Wi-Fi
- Remember, your information might be visible to other people on this network.
- There are several types of networks you can connect to, find the one that is yours.
- Connect to an open network
- Select the secure Wi-Fi network
- Type the network password.
- Select Connect
- Connect to an unlisted network.
- Select Join other network
- Enter the network information in the box that appears.
- Select Connect.
- Information for this network is automatically saved so you can connect automatically later.
Connecting to Clever
- Open your Google Chrome Browser
- (Google Chrome Icon)
- Once you're on the "Homepage" locate the "Clever" icon.
- (Homepage Example 1)
- (Clever Icon)
- Left-Click on the "Clever" icon and you will be taken to the access portal.
- If the page doesn't already display the AESD information. Type in the District's name and it will appear in Clever's menu.
- Left-Click on the Adelanto Elementary School District and you will be prompted with a new option along with instructions
- If the student has a "Clever Badge" they can use that to sign in utilizing the Chromebooks built in webcam. If not they have to manually enter their credentials as instructed on the Clever Page
- After logging into Clever you'll be on a screen that looks like this:
- *NOTE* Not all options are available for all users *NOTE*
- Just select your "App" and you can begin working.